Canberra Girls Grammar School hosted an Information Session on Thursday, 12 May 2016, concerning their interest in development of the Latrobe Park sports oval and surrounds.
DRA strongly encouraged residents to attend, via email and letterbox publicity.
The meeting was well attended (over 70 people) and many residents took the opportunity to ask questions and express their views, following a short presentation from CGGS Principal, Ann Coutts.
Some expressed cautious support for an upgrade and greater usage of Latrobe Park.
Most speakers raised concerns about:
- Potential loss of public land into private ownership
- Exacerbation of parking and traffic issues that already cause problems for nearby residents
- Pedestrian access, including dog exercising and the effect of any fencing of the oval
- Change to the character and accessibility of the park if being used frequently for organised school and other sporting activities
- Effect on the natural environment and wildlife currently using the park.
DRA has also received a substantial number of emails on this subject. We still require solid advice on the legal options and implications of this proposal, and we are pursuing the ACT Government’s Territory and Municipal Services (TAMS) directorate for a full briefing (so far, without success).
When we have enough information, DRA will prepare our own position paper, taking into account resident, school, and government views, and circulate it for all residents to comment.
Until that has occurred, DRA cannot offer support to the school’s proposal. We remain in discussion with CGGS and appreciate their wish to proceed with a proposal only if it has community support.