- The Committee approved several new membership applications received recently, including those arising from the Public Meeting about the “Brickworks” development. Welcome to those new members. Committee also discussed options to make membership application and renewal easier – more later on that.
- Committee also noted the ACT Government has indicated the proposals will be reviewed in response to many submissions and a substantial petition, including issues raised by the National Capital Authority regarding the character and treatment of Adelaide Avenue and Dunrossil Drive.
- DRA has been advised that Deakin Soccer Club has been given an extension of time to complete carpark improvements required under its lease conditions. The reason is that major developments are going to be proposed in relation possible hosting of matches of the Asian Cup in 2015 (see other story).
- The next meeting (October) will need to finalise any matters required before the Annual General Meeting.
DRA Committee Meeting 5 June 2014
The meeting discussed action and progress on several issues affecting Deakin residents. The relevant items under “Current Issues” on this website have been updated accordingly.
- Canberra Brickworks development.
A community information session and guided tours had been held on 31 May 2014 at the former Brickworks in Yarralumla. It was noted that the Land Development Agency’s plan would have a significant impact on both Deakin and Yarralumla. About 400 of the planned 1,600 residential units would be built in Deakin, west of Kent Street adjoining Adelaide Avenue. Concerns were raised about lack of planning for retail and other services for the significant population of that new neighbourhood, and about traffic effects especially around the Kent/Novar Street and Cotter Road junctions with Adelaide Avenue. These points are already facing greatly increased traffic due to development of Molonglo suburbs.Committee encouraged residents to take advantage of the opportunity for public comment closing Monday, 14 July 2014.
Committee will also liaise with Inner South Canberra Community Council on the broad issues that affect residents in neighbouring suburbs.
- Gawler Crescent Townhouse proposal.
The committee discussed in detail a proposal for seven 3-bedroom 2-storey townhouses with underground car parking on two amalgamated blocks. Submissions to ACTPLA were due by Thursday 12th June. Several individual submissions are likely.
- Auditor General’s Report on Single Dwelling Development Applications
The Auditor-General’s report was released on Monday 26th May 2014. Two of the case studies relate to developments in Deakin. It contains 12 recommendations (two of which are high priority) which address shortcomings in the administration of planning.
It was agreed that DRA will write to Minister Corbell supporting early implementation of the recommendations.
- Latrobe Park
Current and future usage of Latrobe Park as an important community facility and public open space was discussed, including a draft set of principles which are intended to guide management and usage in the future. A number of actions have been agreed, including that the Deakin community will be consulted later in 2014.
- Deakin Soccer Club Lease
Committee noted that, after approaches by DRA, the ACT Government has served a Controlled Activity Order on the Croatia Deakin Football Club, requiring full compliance with their lease, viz. that “The Croatia Deakin Football Club must construct a hardstanding sealed carpark suitable for 90 to 95 vehicles, with either a bituminous or concrete surface, including the installation of all required curbing and drainage suitable to control and direct stormwater flows in a way that causes no nuisance to neighbouring leases and directs no runoff onto unleased Territory land.”
- Pedestrian Safety barriers at Deakin shops
Safety barriers have been erected in front of most shops but not yet been erected to protect that part of the footpath adjoining the supermarket premises. ACT Government has responded positively following a 2012 800-signature petition co-ordinated by DRA. DRA has consulted with both the relevant landlord and the ACT Government with a view to having the remaining safety barriers in place as soon as possible.
DRA Committee Meeting 3 April 2014
The DRA Committee meeting of 3 April discussed progress in a number of areas of interest to Deakin residents:
- Traffic and parking around schools: Inner South schools have a high proportion of enrolments from students living out of the area, and this contributes to some serious traffic and parking issues around drop off and pick up times.
ACT Government have instituted some new parking rules in Grey Street, Fergusson Crescent and Robe Street to try to ensure safe passage for school buses servicing the Girls Grammar junior school in Grey Street. Effectiveness is net to be evaluated.
ACT Government has agreed to make some changes to parking arrangements at the Deakin shops, in the interest of pedestrian safety. Some issues remain, due to the IGA Supermarket lease extending to the edge of the footpath and hence lessee approval being required for the installation of pedestrian protective devices.
- Concessional leases: Residents have a right to expect that leases granted for community purposes are held to those purposes. Clubs and other groups should not be allowed to privatise such assets without full assessment of community benefit.
Audit of public open space: Public spaces in Deakin have been nibbled away over the years and often residents do not know the status of land currently open for public recreation. An audit is being prepared so that public open space decisions can be made on a broad factual basis.
In Deakin, Latrobe Park is the largest such assett and special attention is being given to plans for future use and ensuring long-term public access.
- Precinct plan: A pilot Precinct Plan is being developed to add broader considerations to the current land-use planning information. Local character, transport and foot traffic options, open spaces, concessional and diplomatic leases, heritage aspects, and historic building codes are all relevant, as well as clarification of areas zoned for more intensive development.
The committee will meet again in early June 2014.
DRA Committee Meetings
The Committee of Deakin Residents Association Inc meets approximately every second month for general business. Meeting outcomes will be posted here for interested residents as well as members of the Association.
DRA Committee Meeting, 6th February 2014
Most of the issues discussed at the February meeting are recorded separately and in more detail in items listed to the right of this page.
Committee discussed outcomes of the meeting with Minister Corbell on Wednesday 5th February. A letter of appreciation has been forwarded to the Minister.
Committee discussed next steps in working with the Inner South Canberra Community Council and the ACT Government to develop more appropriate precinct codes, with Deakin and Yarralumla as a pilot.
Committee discussed rising community concern about how concessional leases are handled. A paper on the subject to the ACT Government has been drafted and is under consideration.
Canberra Girls Grammar School has expressed interest in more regular use of the sports field in Latrobe Park, with some possible development of facilities primarily for use of the school.
DRA organised a meeting with a representative of Canberra Girls Grammar with respect to future uses of Latrobe Park. Key objective is that the Deakin community needs have priority in considering the future of the park. The school and DRA are to separately develop proposals for further discussion, hoping for a mutually satisfactory plan for Latrobe Park.